The LEAF’s cooling system is also similar to that of a vehicle with an internal combustion engine except that most vehicles use a mechanical compressor driven by the engine through a clutch. The LEAF, like a few hybrid vehicles, uses an electric motor as a compressor.
As in other vapor-compression cycle air conditioning systems, the compressor increases the density, and hence the temperature, of refrigerant gas. It is then sent through a condenser which extracts and radiates the heat, converting the gas to a liquid state. From there it goes through an expansion valve, which results in it cooling as it returns to a gaseous state before entering the evaporator where it collects heat from air being blown past it.
- In Sri Lanka, both EV and ICE undergo premature AC repairs.
- This will be an expensive repair, in some cases. If the evaporator coil found to be the culprit the cost will be higher!
- Evaporator coil to last long, as much as the life of the compressor, but it’s not happening, costs are big!
- In the case of Nissan Leaf, the job is even more extensive as its needing the removal of the entire instrument cluster/dashboard.
- Seems we missed few important points to follow in the tropics.
The manufacturer wouldn’t have mandated the removal of the instrument cluster to replace the Evaporator coil if they ever expected such a replacement.
As almost everyone in the automobile industry is saying, the future is electric. Like IC engine-powered cars, electric cars have ACs too, but instead of using an engine to power the compressor, they use electricity.
EVs use a compressor that is “similar to the one in a domestic fridge,”. It sits at the front of the car and draws power from the car’s battery pack. The compressor pushes the refrigerant through the chilling unit and cools the air before reaching the AC vent.
We do many bad things which is detrimental to the evaporator. Here are some key points you may follow in using the AC system in a high humid country.
- Don’t use poor and fake cabin filters and change them as and when required.
- Another blunder, improper fitting of the cabin filter. It’s a tricky mechanism and may tend to bend the filter if not done professionally. So the air may bypass the filter, leaving or clogging the evaporator.
- Do not use additional floor mats. Most of these are not suitable for the cars without the static effect. Rubber Mats are the worst. Even 3M type mats are not appropriate in this context.
- Not to use fabric seat covers which is again bad.
- Use the Air Conditioner all the time in recirculating mode.
- A precautionary measure, run the blower fast before 5 minutes you stop the car in the evening.
- Ensure that your system runs on the correct refrigerant pressure, this to be checked during the scheduled maintenance.
Premature replacements of evaporator coil (cooler) or other components are not a problem of the car it is purely a problem of the usage and somewhat on the operating conditions as well. However, a proper diagnosis procedure is required to ascertain the cause of the failure as removal of the instrument cluster should be the last resort.
It is not simply the evaporator coil to be replaced, even if it’s the case. The job needs attention on the blower unit and duct connections, filtration, compressor oil, refrigerant pressure, O rings, condenser unit, and other couplings, etc too. Furthermore, the expertise and the technical know-how matters as we take every measure to avoid repetition.
Here is a new evaporator coil to be replaced (cooler)
Remember, the Evaporator coil is destined to last long as the life of the compressor, let’s make it happen to avoid heavy replacement costs!